Every year, we look forward to bringing an impressive cross-section of the museum field together for our Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo. We learn so much from each other, and we make valuable interpersonal connections that are critical for moving our field forward.
A national conference of our size costs over $3 million over several years (in vendor and virtual platform fees, convention fees, AV, software, events, transportation, staff, etc.), and up to $950 per attendee. The average amount paid by attendees directly is $358—only about a third of the real costs. We understand not everyone is able to afford the registration fee, and each year, we offer many free or deeply discounted registrations through scholarships and other opportunities.
We also know that to meet our full potential, our Alliance needs to hear from the broadest possible spectrum of people who work in our field – from emerging professionals to senior leaders, from large and small museums, and from a diverse array of individuals, particularly those in groups that are underrepresented in our field. For some, the costs of attending a conference may put this rewarding experience out of reach, and that means a lost opportunity not only for these professionals but for our field as a whole. The more voices we can include, the better our results in tackling the challenges for our field and our future.
That’s why we’re always looking for ways to make our Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo more affordable, both by creating opportunities to lower your costs and by increasing available scholarship funds. For our 2021 Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, we have reduced registration rates to the lowest fee in recent history during Early Bird registration, have made all networking events free, and are providing the following opportunities:
- Scholarships: Each year, we fundraise and work hard to support attendance by a broader cross-section of the museum field. For our 2021 conference, we have secured funding for 35 scholarships so that students and museum professionals at various stages of their careers can attend. The Alliance Scholarship Program is designed to nurture inclusive and equitable best practices—for the benefit of museums, museum professionals, and the diverse audiences they serve—by supporting the professional development of individuals from underrepresented or marginalized groups.
- Deeply discounted registrations: As we did for #AAMvirtual in 2020, we will be providing a number of deeply discounted $25 registrations to those who have been furloughed or laid off, or who otherwise can’t afford the full cost of registration. We are currently fundraising for these registrations and will provide more information in early March. If you are able, please consider making a donation to support these discounted registrations.
- Keynotes: As we do every year, keynote session recordings will be made available for free to the public after the Annual Meeting has concluded.
- Elevate Stage Sessions: This year, we will also make all Elevate Stage session recordings free to the public after the Annual Meeting has concluded.
While registering, you will be prompted to indicate any accessibility needs. We will follow up with you prior to the meeting to provide resources or obtain more information.
If you require an aide or personal assistant to help you navigate the Annual Meeting and MuseumExpo, we will register your aide as a complimentary guest. Email AAM@xpressreg.net or call 774-247-4021 to add an aide to your registration. The #AAM2021 platform is 508-compliant and fully accessible to screen readers.
Attendees who are Deaf or hard of hearing:
- All sessions will be CART captioned.
- All session recordings will have transcripts available.
- All presenters and session organizers should review the Towards a More Accessible and Inclusive Presentation.
For any other questions regarding accessibility and accommodations in advance of the meeting, email firstname.lastname@example.org.